Monday. Last week at Teule. Did surgery today with the surgeon Dr. Mbago. Ward round then outpatient clinic. It was really good, and learned a lot! He quizzed us on a lot of things that are relevant to exams, and in clinic we saw a lot of really amazing signs. There were a lot of orthopaedic cases, as well as a lot of thyroid problems. I saw and palpated my first goitre! In fact I saw 5 today! Saw a bad case of elephantitis that had been ongoing for 23 years... Only treatment is to amputate the leg. Learned the emergency management of pneumothorax in a rural setting without hospital equipment. The clinic went on for a long time, there were many, many patients. We only finished at 3pm, and the surgeon bought us all drinks! We had a really late lunch, and I got my malaria rapid tests and medication in case I got ill later.
Picked up my kanga shirt today! 2000 shillings. ($1.80 AUD) The taylors used the traditional African material and copied my shirt.
We cooked fried rice tonight, it was delicious. Played a few rounds of poker and went to bed. Long day, tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment