I have neglected blogging for nearly 2 months - the last entry is December 08 2004, 2 weeks after the TEE, while I was in Adelaide. It is time, I believe to rid the dust off the shelves of my blog.
I believe there is a lot to cover since that time, namely:
1. TEE Results Released
2. University Offers
3. University Errands
4. Driving
5. Work
I was very pleased with the TEE in general, however I was disappointed with my performance in the English Literature TEE - with a startling raw mark of 67%.
The following are my marks:
Applicable Maths: 94.5 Raw: 89
Chemistry: 93.6 Raw: 90
Physics: 89.3 Raw: 86
Economics: 85.1 Raw: 83
English Literature: 83.0 Raw: 67
Calculus: 82.8 Raw: 88
TER: 99.80
My driving has been going steadily during the holidays, and its actually fun! I had a test on Thursday 27th January 2005 and I managed to do quite well, despite having failed it. Apparently I neglected to see a car coming when i was reversing out of a parking bay, and the examiner had to use the brakes on me. I believe that constitutes an automatic fail. However, there's always next time!
It is unfortunate to note, however, that my driving examiner has recently (3 days ago) died of a massive heart attack. My wishes of not getting him as examiner again has indeed come true – rather freaky. I’m flooded with a certain remorse about the situation, realising I should have not complained so much about him.
Monday 17th January was a rather depressing day – Adelaide offers were released and I was informed that I had been unsuccessful in obtaining a Medicine place in the University of Adelaide. My previous fears that the Adelaide interview was the least easy has come to pass. That night everyone was looking up this Melbourne newspaper (The Herald Sun) online to find out their VTAC offers, and as I searched frantically for my name, it was not there. Double rejection immediately entered my mind. After about an hour of panicking, I realised that I had opted not to have my offers published in the press. Good one, John.
I ended up receiving a first round offer to Medicine at UWA which I am eternally grateful for. Around that time, probably a day later, I was also informed on being offered the MRB (Medical Rural Bonded) Scholarship at The University of Melbourne, which proved to be one of the biggest dilemmas and decision making moments of my life. So many pros and cons stared unblinking in my face. Melbourne had a better academic record, its medical course is internationally accredited, it’s a great experience, good for independence, and Melbourne is a great city from what I hear. However, I will be away from my family forever, 6 years studying, and after obtaining fellowships etc, another 6 years in rural service. The penalties for chickening out of the 2cm thick contract (literally) is (1) paying back all the scholarship amount (2) not practicing privately for 12 years (3) not billing medicare for 12 years. Fairly harsh punishments, extremely inflexible, and in the end decided to compromise the non-international-accreditation of UWA’s Medical course, and stay in WA where I believe I am happy.
UWA Medicine has a lot of aspects / requirements attached to it – such as the many vaccinations, blood tests, criminal screening processes, first aid qualifications, WAMSS, etc. Like I said, there are many errands to run. These were the errands I ran in the last few weeks.
1. Joined the West Australian Medical Students Society
2. Signed up for the WAMSS Fresher Camp
3. Co-op bookstore membership
4. Request new student card (they printed my name wrong)
5. Activate and upgrade university email account
6. Certified required documents for Criminal Record Screening (got Mr Birrell to certify them =) hehe… )
7. Got my own medicare card
8. Got my own stethoscope: Littman Cardiology III (very expensive)
9. Got refund on WAMSS Fresher Camp (going to be in Malaysia)
10. Took blood test at UWA Medical Center to find out that I’m immune to Varicella (Chicken Pox), Rubella, but they could not detect any Hepatitis B antigen/antibodies.
11. Had a Hepatitis B booster intjection
12. Received a St John’s First Aid Certificate (Senior First Aid)
These are a few main ones among many tedious errands. I have to come back to UWA Med Center in 2 months to get another blood test done. Today I received in the mail my criminal record clearance card – looks really cool…The last 2 weeks have been rather eventful – I’ve been busy beyond my own capacity and have probably exhausted myself to the hard limit. So many social gatherings, and there’s more to come! The holidays are supposed to be a time of relaxation and unbusyness – yet I find myself equally busy during the holidays as I am in year 12 – except no exam pressure!
Today, working at Hoyts I had the opportunity to utilise some of my First Aid training, which was good. Theres a Veteran Affairs elderly man (WWII veteran) who comes back to Hoyts a lot with his dog, and always orders a Flat White and a Cake. Not good for him since he had a triple bypass not too long ago. He can barely walk, yet he comes by himself (with his dog). Today I noticed after having his cake and coffee his faced held a stressed expression as he sat leaning against the wall unable to get up. I left the box office, gave him some water, told him to relax, asked him if he had pain anywhere, and told him to breathe slowly and he’ll be alright – and he was very appreciative which is the best thing about it.
Many people from Rossmoyne (17) were received into Medicine around Australia and internationally. Its cool.What I love about the holidays, is there are so many opportunities to catch up with friends – I’ve had so many movies, dim sum lunch, pool parties, birthday parties, among others – and it has been exhilarating.
Going to Malaysia on Valentine’s Day, so Happy Valentines to everyone! Will be back on the 23rd of February, and will probably blog from Malaysia if I am able, and if I can find some form of internet cafĂ©.
I look forward to starting university on 28th February, and I wish everyone in my year group the best in Uni and Beyond!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi John,
I've only known you since Thursday, but I must say I'm glad you're one of the people who made the cut. Congratulations on all the stuff you've achieved in the past months (years, perhaps?) and good luck for the future.
I look forward to sharing the next six years with you.
--Robert
Post a Comment